IAS Eligibility Criteria 2016: Interested candidates who are applying for IAS exam needs to ensure that they are fulfilling the Eligibility criteria for IAS examination. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) generally takes up verification of eligibility conditions with reference to the original documents only after the candidate has qualified for the Interview / Personality Test.
IAS Eligibility Criteria 2016 – Qualification
- The candidates must hold a minimum bachelor degree from any stream & from any recognized university by the University grants Commission (UGC) or possess equivalent qualification.
- Candidates who in their final year/final semester or waiting for result can also apply for Preliminary Exam, but they will have to give a proof of passing graduation before they appear in main exam of IAS.
Age Limit for IAS exam 2016
Candidate’s minimum age to appear for IAS Exam is 21 years and maximum age limit is given below for various categories.
|Category||Maximum Age Limit||No. of Attempts Allowed|
|General||32 Years||6 Attempts|
|SC/ST||37 years||Up to age limit|
|OBC||35 years||9 Attempts|
|Physically disabled candidates (Blind, Deaf-mute, Orthopaedics)||42 years||Gen – 9 Attempts|
OBC – 9 Attempts
SC/ST – Till age limit
|Jammu & Kashmir Domicile||GEN – 37|
OBC – 40
SC/ST – 42
PH – 50
|Up to the age limit|
|Defence Services Personnel disabled in operations during hostilities||GEN – 35|
OBC – 38
SC/ST – 40
|Up to the Age limit|
Nationality for IAS Exam
- For the Indian Administrative Service the Indian Police Service, a candidate must be a citizen of India.
- For other services, a candidate must be either:
a) A Citizen of India, or
b) A Subject of Nepal, or
c) A subject of Bhutan, or
d) A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India.
e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Uganda , Burma, , East African countries of Kenya, Sri Lanka , the United Republic of Tanzania, Ethiopia , Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Pakistan and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India. Provided further that candidates belonging to categories (b), (c) and (d) above will not be eligible for appointment to the Indian Foreign Service.
Stay connected with CareerMantri.Com for all latest and relevant updates about IAS Eligibility Criteria 2016. You can find us on FACEBOOK…!!!